1. Determine your facial shape. It's generally understood that not every hairstyle will look good on everyone. This largely has to do with facial shape and features. A useful way to find your facial shape is to stand in front of a mirror and mark the outline of your face (not including your hair or ears) using a bar of soap or makeup pencil. You should be able to see a definitive shape.
2. Choose a style that complements your facial shape. Once you have determined your face shape, try to find a hairstyle that suits the shape. This may require patience, as you may find that you need to grow your hair longer in order to style it appropriately. Here are suggestions for styles based on your face shape:
3. Figure out your hair type. Is your hair wavy, straight, textured, or curly? Is it fine, medium, or thick? Certain hairstyles will work better with your hair's natural tendencies and can make styling easier.
4. Pick a hairstyle that matches your hair type. While some of these styles work with any hair texture, most work best with a specific hair type. Evaluate what your hair naturally tends to do and find a hairstyle that complements those tendencies.
5. Try a variety of styles. There is no hard and fast rule about hairstyle. While these suggestions may help, you should ultimately find a style that makes you feel comfortable and like yourself. Don’t be afraid to try out different styles every month or so until you find one that you really like.
6. Choose a sideburn length. The average length of classic sideburns is the middle point of your ear, but this can be adjusted according to your facial features and head shape. Whatever length you choose, the sideburns should match your hairstyle. So, if you have short hair, the sideburns should be kept short and well trimmed. Sideburns can be longer and thicker with a longer, looser hairstyle.